Thursday, October 23, 2014

First Observation

Today I went and observed my MicroAquarium.  I saw many organisms swimming around in the water.  I saw many Nematodas swimming around, they move in a violent jerking or whipping motion and are constantly whipping back and forth.  They are long, skinny, dark worm looking organisms. 

I also saw one really cool looking worm that was somewhat transparent.  It was staying in one general area and looked like it was attached to one of the plants (ferns) inside my MicroAquarium.  It was wiggling around, slower than the Nematoda, but staying in the same area.  Dr. McFarland suggested it was an Aeolosoma and I confirmed this with the book "Fresh Water Invertebrates of the US, Protozoa to Mollusca." 

I also saw a Tachysoma.  This is a small little organism that was constantly moving around, it looked like it was crawling more than anything.  It was significantly smaller than the other organisms I saw and hard to keep on the screen. 

What I thought was really cool was that when you find something in the microscope if you looked really closely at the MicroAquarium on the table of the microscope you could sometimes see the organism moving around in the water.  I saw this especially with the Nematoda, I could see it violently jerking around in the water. 

Well, That's all for now folks!

Brad Nellis

No comments:

Post a Comment