Thursday, November 6, 2014

3rd observation

Yesterday I went and spent a couple more hours in the lab looking at micro-organisms.  I saw a lot of repeat organisms that I have seen before.  A few organisms in particular that I recognized, I saw many more Oscillatoria, Tachysoma, and Centropyxis.  These organisms have multiplied.  The Oscillatoria have grown significantly in length as well.  Now I will post some more pictures and videos of some more organisms I have found. 
 
 
This is a Tachysoma sp.  (Patterson 1996 pg. 125 fig. 265).  I posted a video of one of these last week, but this is a pretty good picture of one so I decided to post it too. 
 
 
This is an Aeolosoma sp. (Pennak 1989 pg. 290 fig. 335).  It looks like a worm which is what it is.  I think it's really cool because it is practically transparent.  It moves around a lot. 
 
 
This is an Epalxella sp. (Patterson 1996 pg. 141 fig. 311).  This is a little organism that just spins around and goes all over the place. 
 
 
This is a Euchlanis sp. (Pennak 1996 pg. 182 fig. 14).  It is a type of rotifer, it looks really cool and moves around really quickly. 
 
 
This is a Navicula sp. (Vinyard 1977 pg. 112-113 fig. 157b).  It is part of the Diatom family.  The Diatoms come in all different shapes and sizes this being one of many. 
 
 
This is a Cyanobacteria called an Oscillatoria sp. (Bellinger and Sigee 2010 pg. 167 fig. 4.27).  It is really cool because it slides around and is this really cool green-blue color.  Since we have started the MicroAquariums I have noticed that this have grown much larger in size from the first observation. 
 
 
This is a Stentor sp. (Patterson 1996 pg. 106-107 fig. 213-216).  It is really cool because it has these little cilia that spin around the edges of the opening. 
 
 
This is a Vorticella sp. (Patterson 1996 pg. 113-114 fig. 232-236).  If you watch this video it is really cool because it is actually twins, or a Vorticella that is reproducing, so it is two Vorticella on one stem. 
 
This is all I have for today folks.  I have enjoyed watching the organisms in my MicroAquarium grow in number and size. 

No comments:

Post a Comment