Thursday, November 13, 2014

Final Post

Yesterday was the last day in the Lab looking at my MicroAquarium.  I found numerous organisms that I had seen before and one or two new organisms. 
 
 

 
These two pictures above are of another Centropyxis (Patterson 1996 pg. 95 fig184), the cool thing is that this one was in motion when I caught it.  The thing you see in front of it is pulling it along as it moves.  The other Centropyxis that I saw were all still.  I saw many Centropyxis in the dirt at the bottom of the MicroAquarium, there were a lot of them down there. 

 
This is called Colechaeta solute (Prescott 1978 pg. 105).  It is a green algae.  I thought it was interesting. 

 
This is an unnamed Cyanobacteria that I thought looked cool, but could not find it in any books and Dr. McFarland said that he didn't know what it was either. 

 
This is a Limnias (Pennak 1989 pg. 218).  The little cilia you can see at the top spin around and make it look like a two saw blades spinning around.  It was REALLY cool!

 
This is an unnamed rotifer.  It was very active and I got a good picture, so I thought I'd include it. 
 
There were a lot more of the Cyanobacteria Oscillatoria in the edge of the MicroAquarium down in the dirt.  They were everywhere. 
 
The MicroAquarium project has been really cool and taught me about all different types of microorganisms I didn't know existed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment